Ranking the Blackout stories πŸ–€

 Hello to all my readers and welcome back to Takeaway! A week ago, I read the book of my heart: Blackout. Believe me, the Land of Stories is still my favorite, btu this book has become a comfort book for me even if I only read it a few days ago. Inspired by the passionate reviews that I read on Goodreads for this book, I have decided to rank the Blackout stories. Let's get into it, but first, let's present some facts about Blackout. 


Blackout is a young adult short story collection written by 6 black female authors (Tiffany D Jackson, Nic Stone, Ashley Woodfolk, Angie Thomas, Ashley Woodfolk and Nicola Yoon). The purpose of this book is to celebrate Black love, which it absolutely achieves. This short story collection has a inter-woven setting, which is New York City during a summer blackout where the main characters are all trying to get to a summer block party. Besides the New York aspect, the concept of a blackout romance just seems. . .romantic to me. But without further ado, let's get into it. 

6. No Sleep Til' Brooklyn by Angie Thomas

This premise of this story is a class that is on a trip to New York. Kayla is grappling with her feelings for a crush, Micah, and a fight that she has had with her boyfriend, Tre'Shawn. There is also some excess drama where her best friend might like Tre'Shawn. Long story short, Kayla ends up having an eye opening conversation with a bus driver, dumps Tre'Shawn and decides to ride solo for now. As much as I love Angie Thomas and her previous works, I didn't enjoy this story that much. As much as the concept intrigued me and I truly didn't know who she should've chosen, the execution was not good. The character development was rushed, some of the plotlines were left unresolved and I didn't really find comfort in the story. I am all for self love, but babes, this is a romance story. Kayla should've picked Micah.

5. The Long Walk by Tiffany D. Jackson

This story is broken up and scattered among the anthology, with it having four acts. The Long Walk follows exes Tammi (my Jamaican-American queen) and Kareem who run into each other as they are trying to get the same job. Tammi is still sour over the way that their relationship ended, but during the blackout, ends up walking back to Brooklyn with Kareem and solving their issues. Tammi and Kareem's past was fleshed out well, and I'm happy that they were able to come to a resolution on their issues. However, I do not like the miscommunication part of their story. It was a little bit toxic. Nevertheless, I appreciated how they both had acknowledged how they could've done things different. The real cherry on top was the amazing ending on the Brooklyn Bridge where Kareem comforted Tammi during her panic attack, and Tammi came to the realization that she wanted to be with him. This was a very sweet love story between two exes who learned to get past their differences. This story is mostly number 5 because I liked all the others better. 

4. Mask Off by Nic Stone

Mask Off was a Black queer love story that depicted JJ (Jacorey Harding) a basketball player who is questioning his identity. He's on the subway during the blackout and recounts the timeline of his relationship with Tremaine Wright, a quiet photographer at their school. He ends up finding Tremaine on the train and rescuing him while he's having a claustrophobic scare. I loved this story. It was super wholesome, and I loved JJ's journey to start accepting his identity has a queer/bisexual man. It also adressed some of the stigmas that have to do with black queer men, especially those who play sports. One of my favorite moments was him recounting the night with Tremaine at the queer masquerade party, and the chemistry was straight fire between them. Although I understand Tremaine's concern with delving into something with JJ, I really can't help but ship them. This story was definitely comforting, and the ending on the bikes was sweet. I do want more of Tremaine and JJ, and would've loved to see further development, but I'm happy with what I got.

3. Seymour and Grace by Nicola Yoon (y'all know what time it is already)

Seymour and Grace is a two-person perspective story where Grace (a character talked about in a previous story, and my Jamaican-American queen) is trying to get to the summer block party during the blackout to confront her ex, but ends up falling for her Ryde driver who is super into philosophy, Seymour. Honestly, this story delivered. It definitely has the Nicola Yoon flavor that I was looking for in it, with tons of philosophizing, troubling family life and a main character who is in denial. Just kidding, but I'm not. The love story of Seymour and Grace was very comforting to me, and both of their backstories was fleshed out amazingly. Their dynamic with one another, their discussions and them bothing helping the other learn something was very fufilling. The full circle with all of stories coming together was very emotional for me, and then the lights turning on as they met in the middle. Yes, I thought that Grace's change of heart was rushed but. . .I can excuse it because I love this story. 

2. Made to Fit by Ashley Woodfolk

This story is a queer love story featuring two characters named Nella and Joss who work at the same nursing home during the blackout. Nella is hesitant to jump into something again after a heartbreak with a "ex that's not an ex", Bree. When Nella's grandfather loses a photo, Nella and Joss travel across the nursing home to find it and connect. This story is amazing and wholesome, and I will accept no slander of Made to Fit. My girl, Nella. . .it took a while, but she made it. Their chemistry was amazing, and Nella's backstory and arc was great. I can't get out of my head when they are about to kiss, and Joss is just telling Nella how amazing she is. That was very sweet. The LGBTQ+ representation in this whole anthology is on par, and I love that Nella and Joss discuss how they came to terms with their sexuality and how they came out. I don't know what else to say, but this story's position says it all. 

1. All Great Love Stories. . .and Dust by Dhonielle Clayton

This story takes place in the New York Public Library during the blackout where two best friends, Tristian and Lana, are trying to find the best book ever for a bet. However, there is a limited time to find that book and also for Lana to admit her love to Tristian as their Ryde is coming to take them to the block party in thirty minutes or something. This story is my favorite out of the Blackout bunch. The friends to lovers/slow burn aspect of the story is so comforting to me, and Lana & Tristian have a great dynamic. The bet to find the "best book ever" and the library setting just makes the story sweeter. The moment where Lana asks the question, and then they kiss. . .it was a long time coming, but my babies made it! I do have a gripe with Tristian's character though, with him having all of these girlfriends and still being able to love Lana. Maybe I should just trust Tristian? I just love the whole concept of making your own love story, and how they are portrayed in Seymour and Grace is adorable too so. . .YAY.

I hope you guys enjoyed  this post and were able to maybe take away something from this. If you are interested (or want to), make sure to share this post or follow me (if you have a blog). Sending everyone well wishes!

Ciao, 

Miki ✌🏾

Comments

Popular Posts